- 3 x Spring onions, chopped
- 6 x Carrots (organic are sweeter)
- 1 x Large Orange
- 1 x Tin of chickpeas (400g net weight)
- 1 x Tsp of star anise powder
- 1 x Tsp of black onion seeds
- 2 x Heaped tbsp of cumin seeds
- 1 x Tsp of corn flour
- 1 x Stock cube
- 1 x Tbsp ginger powder
- 1 x Tsp of sweetener or sugar
- Pitta breads
- Optional garnish – fresh chilli and coriander
1. Peel and chop the carrots (about the same width as a pound coin, this way they cook quicker).
2. Place the carrots in a pan and squeeze all the juice from the orange over the carrots.
3. Push the carrots to one side of the pan. Now place the corn flour into the juice and mix it in until the flour dissolves. This will help thicken the juice.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients excluding the pitta bread and garnish into the pan.
5. Place the lid on the pan and allow to cook on a medium heat until the carrots are soft or al dente.
6. Toast the pitta bread and fill it with the carrot and chickpea mixture.
7. I added coriander and fresh chopped chilli to look good…but also popped them in the pitta’s for an extra boost of heat and flavour.
This is healthy, cheap, quick and tasty…you couldn’t ask for much more from a meal. Again like with all of my recipes…they are not concrete and you could do some experimenting yourself… add a different spice you like…try it with cous cous instead of pitta bread, have fun with your food. It’s all about being creative. If you do try any of my recipes I would love to hear from you and how it went. Happy flocking cooking people.