- 1 x Large diced onion
- 2 x Large garlic cloves
- 4 x Tbsp of tomato paste
- 2 x Tins of butter beans
- 1 x Tsp Cider vinegar
- 2 x Heaped tbsp sumac
- 1 x Heaped tsp of sugar or sweetener
- 1 x Tbsp of paprika
- The juice of half a lime
- Half a chilli
- Fry light
- In a large pan cook the diced onions in the Fry light spray, on a medium heat for around 5/10 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and chilli to the onions and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Now add the rest of the ingredients and cook for around 5 to 10 minutes.
- If the mixture starts to dry you can add a little water and mix.
- The beans can be served with a jacket potato on toast or with salad.
A couple of months back Barry and I walked from St Bee’s to Robin hoods bay whilst doing the Coast to Coast. It was an incredible 2 week adventure, we climbed loads of mountains, met some interesting people and camped along the route. The only thing we had to worry about was where we were pitching our tent, getting lost and where our next meals was coming from. This is where the inspiration for this recipe came from…whilst on this amazing adventure I would often end up eating cold baked beans straight out of the tin for breakfast. So after eating Heinz for 2 weeks I decided to make my own version… homemade baked beans. Enjoy.