Rhubarb and Orange Jelly Cups
Serves 2 people
- 2 x Oranges = 1/2 a cup of juice
- 1/2 x Cup water
- 2 x Rhubarb stalks cooked in 2 tbsp of sugar or sweetener
- 1/2 Tsp agar-agar powder (buy online)
- 2 x Tbsp sweetener or sugar
- Cut the oranges in half and gently with a spoon take the orange flesh out of its skin (sounds gruesome!!). Ensure you catch all the juice in a cup. Squeeze the juice out of the orange once it has been removed from the skin.
- Keep the skins to one side as they will be used as the jelly cups.
- Peel the rhubarb and chop it into small chunks.
- Cook the rhubarb with the sweetener in a pan on a medium heat until it softens (around 5 minutes).
- Once cooked place the rhubarb in the orange skin cups. Save a little bit to put on the top of the jelly’s when it sets.
- In a pan add the water, juice, agar-agar and sweetener/sugar. Allow the liquid to come to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Stir the liquid to ensure the agar-agar fully dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and pour the liquid into the orange skins or mold (which ever you fancy). Don’t let the liquid cool in the pan as it will start to set.
Allow to set in the fridge for 3-4 hours….and voila…you have vegan jelly.
Lots of lovely lovely rhubarb:
Rhubarb… Or as my dad likes to call it…’boobrab’ (he’s a real funny guy)!! Kindly my dad is forever stocking me up with ‘boobrab’ and apart from making the to be expected…crumble. I have often found myself in a puzzled as to what I should make with it…So after making numerous crumbles, I decided to make a different dessert. Fun for adults and the kids (I said that like I have got kids?). Rhubarb is also fun for your pockets…because like me… it is wild and free! Everything is better when it’s free. So come on my little Petals, why not try making your own jelly…or come up with your own rhubarb creation. Please be sure to share anything you make with me… either in the comments section or on Instagram @flower_bird_and_dock. Peace x